Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 11:22:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com, coredump@nervosa.com, winter@jurai.net, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

Chuck Robey writes:

> On Wed, 22 May 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:

>>> vi.
>>
>> In Chuck's defense, I would say "vi" too, but if you had a choice of an
>> editor IN ADDITION TO vi, which would you pick? (remember it must fit on
>> the boot floppy :-) I heard one vote for "joe" which is a decent editor,
>> but since pico is more popular, and we ARE doing this for newbie's, I
>> narrowly lean towards that.  I would NOT choose ee, as it has no advantage
>> over vi to me, nor would I expect, to a new user.
>>
>> So in other words, if there is room on the boot disk for two editors, one
>> of which being vi, what do you vote for as the second editor?
>
> I appreciate the defense, Jake, but it's not on the mark.  I hate pico, I
> would never use it, but neither you, I, nor Chris qualify as new users.
> I am talking about a new user's editor, period.  Something to replace ee,
> NOT to replace any tool that any of us use now.
>
> I am talking about lowering the fear level for approaching FreeBSD.

OK, I think it's established that most people here wouldn't use pico
(I heartily agree).  The question is, is pico a good editor for
beginners?  I don't think so.  It has too many non-intuitive control
character functions.  That probably puts it only slightly ahead of vi
for real newbies.  Isn't there some editor out there that vaguely
resembles Microslop's 'edit'?  It doesn't have to be the same, but the
idea of using the standard function keys rather than control sequences
would vastly raise the acceptance level for newbies.

Does anybody know an editor which would meet these criteria?  I
haven't looked at micro emacs lately, so I don't know whether it can
now (be persuaded to) do this, nor if it's small enough to be
practical on the boot disk.

Greg