Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 21:45:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        murduth@ludd.luth.se, af@biomath.jussieu.fr
Subject:   Re: How to send "start unit" to disk during boot? (solved)

As af@biomath.jussieu.fr wrote:

> # DEC RZ disks
>
> 0x25    {
>         {Spinup on power up} i1
> }

Hmm, i wonder if this would clash with other vendor's mode pages.  The
CD-R devices use mode pages in the 0x2X range.  I always thought that
there's a vendor-specific reserved range, too bad that DEC seems to
violate the specs here.

So i'm not sure whether this one should be committed to the source
tree or not.  What do other people think?

> J"org,  I didn't need the source code patch for sd.c you suggested, so
> I  can't  tell.  My  feeling is that the mount fails precisely because
> there  is no delay between the sending of the "start unit" command and
> the subsequent operations. But I might be misled.

The scsi_start_unit() is supposed to wait until the drive reports that
it has spun up.  Maybe since this is the first spinup after the power
cycle, it still reports a unit attention?  It would be interesting to
know why the existing code didn't work -- so we could fix it.

(For the `od' driver, i definately needed to make this change.  I've
gone further in my experiments and do a scsi_stop_unit() on each
odclose(), but will yet wait for some comments by the author of
od(4).)

--
cheers, J"org