Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 02:21:06 -0600
From:      George Simunovich <george@cia-g.com>
To:        george@cia-g.com, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, gmarco@masternet.it
Subject:   Re: Problem with Adaptec 2940UW.

Hello again,

Well I grabbed the CVS tree and started making kernels.  I narrowed
it down to two dates that the problems started showing up.  It seems
there are two bugs, one that is causing hanging at boot time and one
that causes problems while the system is running.  The booting problem
can be avoided by disabling wide negotiation in SCSI-Select.  The other
isn't effected by doing this or anything else I tried.

Here is a summary of the kernels I made and tried out:

01/01/96: Everything OK.

01/07/96: Everything OK.
01/08/96: Hanging while booting, running OK.

03/01/96: Hanging while booting (more than the others it seemed), running OK.

03/10/96: Hanging while booting, running OK.
03/11/96: Hanging while booting, problems while running.

04/01/96: Hanging while booting, problems while running.

I got the kernels for the dates by running "cvs checkout -D<the date> sys
usr.sbin/config" (MST7MDT) and compiling.  I checked for problems while
running by running "mount /dev/sd1f /mnt; cat /mnt/* > /dev/null; umount /mnt"
several times (it showed up on the first run if it would happend, failing
at the umount command and spitting error messages) after booting with "-s -v".

George
george@cia-g.com