Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 00:18:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sigma@pair.com (Kevin Martin)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic 948 (and 946)

Kevin Martin stands accused of saying:

> Do I correctly understand, though, that the bt driver doesn't do tag
> queueing?  So that the Buslogic, although more physically stable than
> Adaptec controllers, is really a waste of money right now?

I have no idea what 'physically stable' is supposed to mean in
this context, unless you're referring to the tendency of the gyros
in the Adaptec to hurl your system out the window at random intvals.

> I'm trying to settle on which controller to use for future systems; I'm
> guessing the Adaptec 3940 or 3940W.

Depends on what you're trying to do.  For most use, the NCR
53C810-based cards are more than adequate, and considerably cheaper.
The 3940 really only buys you two busses on one card, as Adaptec aren't
giving away enough info on using its' onboard hardware to the best either.

Don't buy up big just at the moment though, as DPT are making noises about
coming to the FreeBSD party, which would put a new player in the #1
spot in terms of high-end SCSI controllers.