Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 1996 13:05:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, dufault@hda.zipnet.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

> You would still have to keep the update marks somewhere :-).  They
> should compress very well since they are only 1 bit to begin with
> and have a steady state value of 1 :-).

You need update marks, but if you don't need to change them from
marks to time stamps when the files are closed you reduce the
overhead of a file system full of many small files being thrashed
open and closed.  No, I haven't thought through the benefits and
drawbacks - I'll shutup.

Note that read-only file systems obviously don't have time stamps,
giving me some screwy ideas about how to look at the original
problem if it is heavily loaded on the read side.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936