Date:      Sat, 01 Jun 1996 15:08:12 -0500
From:      Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stable breakage

> > rune.c isn't needed anymore as it only contains the functions
> > setinvalidrune() and setrunelocale(), which are defined in setinvalidrune.c
> > and setrunelocale.c.
> >
> > Remove the reference to runc.c in lib/libc/locale/Makefile.inc to fix this
> > problem.  (You can nuke rune.c as well.)
>
> Huh?  Are you sure?  It's still in the 2.2-current version of this
> file.  I'd love to have the fix be so simple, but if this is still
> done in 2.2 then I have to wonder..

Nope! Not quite that simple. It seems that common_setlocale.c also needs
to be added to the libc/locale/Makefile.inc. I seriously hosed myself
doing make world when new_categories() was suddenly missing.

A quick comparison of the libc.so.2.2 from 2.1R shows that there may
be other things missing as well.

>From 2.1R
-r--r--r--  1 bin  bin  435248 Jun  1 14:25 /usr/lib/libc.so.2.2
>From the current -stable
-rwxr-x---  1 root  develop  384472 Jun  1 15:01 /usr/src/lib/libc/obj/libc.so.2

Word of warning:
Unless you are linking everything static, a make world in -stable may
seriously ruin your day.