Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 1996 20:29:48 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two queries (libcompat.so and timedef())

Here are a couple of things I looked into as a result of discussions
on -questions and didn't quite understand what I found. I was
wondering if anyone has any comments (even just a "yes we know it's
broken, go and fix it!" will do 8-)

1. ftok(). The prototype for this function is missing from
   <sys/ipc.h>. No big deal, it's probably just an oversight which is
   easy to fix, so I did that on my local tree. Just to make sure I
   hadn't made any silly mistakes, I wrote a test program; the damn thing
   didn't link, even though I compiled it with -lcompat!

   On investigation, I have a libcompat.a and a libcompat_p.a on my
   system, but no libcompat.so. So does in fact does my 2.1.0-RELEASE
   disk. Is this intentional? Also, is there any reason for ftok() to be
   in libcompat, when all the other SysV IPC stuff is in libc?

2. timedef(). We have colldef() for LC_COLLATE and mklocale() for
   LC_LOCALE, but apparently nothing for LC_TIME. However, there seems to
   have been a colltime() at one time which was removed about 6 months
   ago. What would be involved in writing one?