Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:04:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Brown <ewb@zns.net>
To:        pst@shockwave.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   s/key and OTP [was: MD5 Crack code]

Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com> wrote:
> I'd like opinions from folks about the switch to OTP.  It's where
> we "should" be going,  but there are a lot of utilities out there
> (such as Fetch for the Macintosh and our own tools) that finally
> understand and handle s/key properly, as well as windows/macos
> s/key calculators, and I really don't want to pull the rug out from
> under anyone.

IF s/key is approaching "defacto standardization" then that process
should be allowed to continue and OTP should go away. IMHO it is more
important that a standard be established and rolled into the *many*
different clients on multiple platforms, then to address the minor
nits of the standard and thereby delay the arrival of any form of
one-time password security.

I will withdraw MHO if anyone points out an uncorrectable fatal flaw
in s/key that is being addressed by OTP.  Ok, md4 may not be as strong
as md5, but it is so much better than cleartext that I'd rather have
s/key now, then something slightly better N years from now.

I like to keep in mind that none of the cryptographic algorithms based
on NP hard or NP complete problems are proven secure. And that even if
they were, flaws in implementations seem to be nearly impossible to
prevent. Not to mention all the other potential ways to crack systems
(Crack, social engineering, dumpster diving,...). These facts largely
defeat arguments that one algorithm is much "better" than another,
esp. as we desparately need to get away from cleartext passwords now.

Will Brown                  ewb@zns.net             Professional Web Design
Zygaena Network Services    http://www.zns.net      and Hosting
216-381-6019 (voice)        216-381-6064 (fax)      at reasonable prices