Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 22:01:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Incremental [s]pwd.db updates?

Brian Tao wrote:
>     About 9 months ago, Guido van Rooij (guido@gvr.win.tue.nl) was
> working on a modification to pwd_mkdb that allows for incremental
> updating of the databases, for use with passwd/chfn/chsh and friends
> when only the record of one user needs changing.  What is its current
> status?

I'm working on it right now. I will have a -current version first.
Given the release plans for 2.1.5 I dont think it will make
it to that version. I can send you some patches if you like. Use at your
own risk.

>     We are moving one of our authentication servers from a BSD/OS 2.0
> machine (which does have incremental pwd.db updating) to a FreeBSD
> 2.2-SNAP machine (which does not).  It currently contains 14271 lines,
> but will be growing to 150,000 or more before September.  No problems
> with uids > 65536, but it takes a little over 4 minutes to rehash on
> an otherwise idle P100.  With 150,000 users it will take the better
> part of an hour for each update.

It will only speed up chpass, passwd, chfn, chsh. Plus a minor speedup
for pwd_mkdb in general. Plus adding users can be done more effeciently.
But the you have to tweak you adduser a bit (I dont have patches for
the standard adduser in FreeBSD). A vipw(8) will still take a long
time.

-Guido