Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:11:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Frame relay and ATM support

I'm looking into the support needed in FreeBNSD to support
ATM and Frame relay services in a generic manner.

mostly this would suggest a file equivalent to if_ethersubr.c
but if_framesubr.c or something, that knows how to
associate DLCI's (or VPI's) with
addresses, in the same way that ARP does for ethernet,
with a convenient method for controlling such entries.

ET inc. (hi Dennis) seem to associate a virtual interface
with each DLCI in their frame realy product, and this actually
makes some sense, but I rather dislike the idea of intefaces that
don't really associate with the hardware they are running on,
and would RATHER do it in such a way that
ifconfig -a would return:

fr0: flags=c010<NBMA,MULTICAST> mtu 552
	inet 3.3.3.3 --> 4.4.4.4 netmask 0xff000000
	inet 3.3.3.3 --> 140.5.5.5 netmask 0xffffff00
note: that this doesn't work at the moment because
the addition of the alias wipes out the original if the local address
is the same..

(BTW NBMA == non broadcast multiple access)

I bring this up because Iwas hired to write a driver for a frame relay
interface for a proprietary project, and want to make sure that as much of
what I write can be brought back to FreeBSD as being of general use.

julian

|   __--_|\  Julian Elischer       |       \     U \/ / On assignment
|  /       \ julian@tfs.com        +------>x   USA    \ in a very strange
| (   OZ    ) 300 lakeside Dr. oakland CA. \___   ___ | country !
+- X_.---._/  USA+(510) 645-3137(wk)           \_/   \\