Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:11:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@grizzly.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio interrupt problems with PAO-960616 [pccard-test]

Hi Mike,
   Thanks for the response....

>Mark Diekhans stands accused of saying:
>>
>> The same results occur with two difference modems, one of which is on
>> the supported car list (Megahertz XJ2288).  I suspect this is either a
>> configuration mistake or a problem with pcic or sio drivers:
>>
>>          /kernel: PC-Card Cirrus Logic PD6710 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
>>          /kernel: pcic: controller irq 10
>>          /kernel: sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
>>          /kernel: sio0: type 16550A
>>          /kernel: sio1 not found at 0x2f8
>>
>> WHen the kernel is booting I get the message:
>>         /kernel: sio0: 64 events for device with no tp
>>
>> although there is not device attached to sio0.

>This sounds like the card doesn't have a 'real' UART in it, but rather
>a micro pretending to be one.  This is pretty tragic.

Don't know for sure, but these are both two well know cards:
        Cardinal MPV288C2
        Megahertz XJ2288

>You could look the places in sioprobe() where the EXTRA DELAY comments
>are, and try adding 'DELAY(500)' in these places.

Didn't help.  I got the passed the probe error on the cardinal but then
go the unfielded interrupt later.

>>     /kernel: sio1: probe test 3 failed
>
>The card failed to generate an interrupt when it should have.
>
>>     /kernel: sio1: type 16550A
>>     /kernel: Slot 0, unfielded interrupt (3)
>
>... but it's generated it later.

Actually one or the other occurs depending on the reset delay:
probe 3 fails or the fielded interrupt.  An then there is the
64 stray strange interrups on sio0..

Thanks for the suggestions,
Mark