Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 16:38:07 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fports@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, se@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need some help with ghostscript4.0 port

> Everything seems to run fine until the point where 'make' should
> do something but it fails ...
>
> I think a reason might be the need of png and zlib for building
> gs ... but I wasn't able to track down the error with the very
> short and undetailed error message of make ...

It might have been useful if you had told us what it was, however
short and undetailed... :-)

I tried this and got

make: don't know how to make makefile. Stop

This suggests that it needs a file called makefile, but is unable to
find it. This is hardly surprising, as there is no such file in
${WRKSRC}.

Looking in unix-gcc.mak, we find

# The dependency on makefile is to detect failure to run tar_cat.
$(GS_XE): makefile ld.tr echogs $(NONDEVS_ALL) $(DEVS_ALL)

Unfortunately, naively running tar_cat doesn't seem to change
anything. tar_cat doesn't even contain the string 'makefile' and 'grep
tar_cat *.txt' doesn't reveal anything that looks as though it might
throw some light on the matter.

In other words, it looks like a screw-up in the Ghostscript
distribution (not really surprising - on inspecting gdevdjet.c, I see
it still has the bug I reported in version 2.6.1. Sigh).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk