Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 19:14:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        fports@jraynard.demon.co.uk (James Raynard)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nntpbtr port uploaded

[ comments: I screwed To: address in my mail - freebsd-ports@ instead of
  ports@. Apologies. ]

Quoting James Raynard:
> Interesting coincidence. I did a port over the weekend of slurp, which
> sounds very similar. (I haven't committed it yet as the ports
> collection is currently "frozen" until 2.1.5 is released).

hmm, I think that nntpbtr is better program of this class (used both).
btw, how can I get someone committing the port?  ;-)

I would probably cut'n'paste some of my args from my older mail on this
subject to the end of my mail.

> > - some policy values are in conf.h under WRKSRC.  Specifically, these
> >   are paths to rnews program and history files (choosen to be
> >   compatible with FreeBSD INN port - /usr/local/bin/rnews,
> >   /usr/local/news/lib/history), as well to directory where nntpbtr creates
> >   its work file (with list of articles to be retrieved).
>
> I would make these ${PREFIX}/bin/rnews, etc - there is no requirement
> that ports are installed under /usr/local.

see, this is inside a conf.h, which is source files.
You can't patch a patch in patches/ easily on-the-fly, can you? ;-)
(of course I can;  the point is just trickery associated).

> >   It is important that this file would be in persistent place (not /tmp).
> >   Now, it is /var/spool/news/nntpbtr-HOSTNAME.  There is only one
> >   file per server.
>
> ${PREFIX}/share/nntpbr/HOSTNAME is how this is normally done for ports.

nope, this is sort of `run' or `spool' file - it is written by the program
to remember it's checkpoint on restart. (and also flock(2)s it for
collision detection).

If there would be a separate `tmp' directory for news, I'd probably opt
for it;  but there isn't any, it seems.

my comments on slurp vs. nntpbtr (basen on experience + program sources/docs):

[...]
I have been seen slurp, and I now the main adavantages of nntpbtr:

- it remembers which articles haven't been tranferred yet, so when
  restarted, it goes straight to getting them before checking for yet
  more news;  it also doesn't have a havit to check existance of all new
  articles before retrieving them, so it is quite useful even if your
  link crashes each 20 minutes :-|

- you can kill it and it would save job not yet done for the next time;

- it stacks up to 25 article requests;  i.e., it says server to get many
  articles withouit waiting for each one of them to arrive.  This does
  _great_ savings on high-delay lines (even on dial-up, your typical
  round-trip time is 150-250ms, so with slurp, you have a delay 2 times
  that after each article retreival.

- it increases size of TCP buffer to ~50K.    Great on high-bandwidth lines

- memory usage is constant and small (~400K RSS)

- blocks on running itself several times at the same time.

the disadvantage is you cannot do group negation like slurp, i.e.,
get comp.os.* but comp.os.ms-windows.* ;-)   oops...  Hurray! You can with INN!
just use `comp.os.*,!comp.os.ms-windows.*' as your group pattern!
you can even do something like `!*.advocacy'...