Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:33:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        noel@harleystreet.com (Noel Burton-Krahn)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP masquerading over tunel device

 wait, wait!
 we've already got code to do this....

 we're hoping we get permission to check it in this week!

> I'm condidering hacking IP masquerading into FreeBSD.  Options include:
> 1) something like PPP which extracts packets from the tunnel device, edits them, and retransmits.
> 2) modifying the kernel firewall code a la Linux.
>
> option #1 seems more elegant to me, but I don't have any docs on the tunnel device, other than the PPP source.  Could someone supply me with docs?
>
> Of course if someone is already trying this, let me know.
we did!
two ways..
look at the new "divert" feature in -current's ipfw code!

also
there is a new ppp daemon coming that has translation built in too..

with luck we'll be able to check in the ppp daemin this week.
and while the translationdaemon may not be so easy to talk management into,
the divert code in -current should make it a snap for you..
the guy here wrote the generic ip-translation daemon in a day or so.