Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 05:54:24 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        dennis@etinc.com, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, mrm@mole.mole.org
Subject:   Re: mitsumi CD-ROM

> > Well, I hate to defend Terry when he's so off-base, but you hardly
> > need the kit for FreeBSD, and it does add $25. or so.

Agreed, The very good SCSI interface is, however, still nearly ten
times as much as the somewhat crummy IDE interface, but the IDE
interface works.

With a 64MB P5/133, 2940, Quantum 4G, I get nearly 8MB/sec bulk
single-disk throughput with 2.1.5. With a 16MB AMD586/133, VLB IDE,
WD 1.08G, I get slightly over 3MB/sec with 2.1-stable and wdc0
flags 0x80ff80ff. The IDE uses a few percent of the CPU during this
activity. The IDE is OK. What makes it so is that the CPU is fast
enough, I think.  The IDE is not as good as the SCSI, I also think
we'd all agree on that. It does cost less. In some cases that's a
reasonable consideration, in others it isn't.

It astounds me that somebody can sell the IDE interface, in a box,
shrinkwrapped, with documentation, shipping, marketing, and retail
markup, for about $20. And they throw in cables, too. Did we
mention how much good SCSI cables and external enclosures for
the disk farm might cost? :-) :-)

Accepting the adequate when the excellent is possible is difficult.

> Doesn't agree with Dennis :== off-base.  8-) 8-).

:-)

> > There aren't enough on-board SCSIs to chose from to consider it,

I have concerns about putting the kitchen sink on the MB. Then, again,
I don't like the MB concept at all, preferring a passive backplane
with alternate fastbus architecture. Oh well, it didn't happen. I'll
make do.

[...]>

> > The point is, if you have 50 machines that don't care much about disk speed,
> > there certainly is a difference in cost.
>
> If you want to get down to brass tacks, you could argue that you don't
> need disks for most of those machines.

Diskless, blech. Dataless, well, OK. Not quite a fair statement, since
there are places for diskless machines, but I think paging over a network
leaves some things to be desired.

I've been watching the little red light on the machine on my desk
as I type and revise this. It hasn't blinked very much. I'd just
as soon have spent $200 for it not to blink much as to have spent
$500 for it not to blink much. There's a place for IDE. There's a
place for SCSI.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good