Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:05:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Subject:   Re: Bootable CD roms

As Eric L. Hernes wrote:

> >I've also been looking at El Torito, and figured that they've invented
> >a lot of useless crap. :)
>
> For the most part I'd agree.  All that's really needed is a simple
> way for the bios get code off CD.

Yep.  It would have seemed logical to invent a new BIOS drive # with
a given geometry, and pass this on to the loaded bootstrap in %dl.

> which hardware supports it.  After I've found hardware that'll
> support booting,  I'll hack on mkisofs to spit out a bootable image.

No need to hack mkisofs in the first place.  We do already have the
tool to merge the bootcode into an existing isofs.  It's called dd(1).

Wait a minute, yep, the El Toredo specs didn't use the first 32 KB
(where there are plenty of space), but the very first sector _after_
the start of the isofs.  So of course, we must make sure that mkisofs
leaves this one blank.  (Dunno whether it puts something there right
now.)

--
cheers, J"org