Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 22:24:53 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        pst@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnats needs emacs to even build !

Hi, Reference:
> From: Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>

> On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>
> > Hi PST cc ports
> >
> > I was thinking of learning gnats, but
> > 	gnats/Makefile:
> > 		BUILD_DEPENDS=  emacs:${PORTSDIR}/editors/emacs
> > 	on freefall:
> > 		10379090 Jun 11 01:34 emacs-19.31.tar.gz
> >

> Hmm... Can't you use the package?

Umm, that never even occured to me ! I always `roll my own' :-)

> Or do you in fact need to build it? You
> could even watch the build process to the point it needs emacs by
> removing that dependency...

True.  I was rather hoping for existence of a `sanitised' gnats; I guess not.

-----

> From: asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)

 * Qestion: Is emacs mandatory ?  or does gnats have a `running light' capability

Please read the Makefile more carefully.

 > # we've got some .elc and info files to compile (yuck)
 > BUILD_DEPENDS=  emacs:${PORTSDIR}/editors/emacs

Besides, this being BUILD_DEPENDS pretty much implies that this is
required for building, not using gnats.

Well, I guess some people perhaps just make a first declaration of a
dependency, & assume subsequent dependencies are thus satisfied ?
after all there's config, make, install & run depencies ....
I'd assumed emacs was needed for running too, & was wondering if anyone had
handy tricks (as are available with exmh) to avoid default emacs
dependency, & depend on a-n-other ed.

> Feel free to modify the port to ignore the .elc and info files, and
> you can take out the BUILD_DEPENDS line if you wish.

Will it then build & run without emacs ?
I'd much prefer if the Maintainer could do this as I don't know gnats
I was hoping to learn gnats, rather learn emacs or
hack the gnats ports, but I now notice with trepidation,
that pst is only in as
	# Whom:                 pst
& there is no
	MAINTAINER =
So I guess it's wide open for anyone who knows gnats (excludes me, I trust !)

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/