Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:50:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/print/ghostscript4

 * They should!  Over the weekend I installed 2.1.5-R and 82 megs of
 * packages.  With my fascist root umask, over half the ports were installed
 * such that mear mortals could not use them.  Quite annoying.
 *
 * Could bsd.port.mk set a "umask 022"???

Hey, if you are talking about packages, bsd.port.mk is not going to
help! ;)

I guess we can add a umask() call to pkg_add, but I'm not sure if
Jordan agrees it's a good thing.  If you have "umask 027" or some such
in your root .cshrc, it means you want to create files with that
permission, and it is quite arguable that applications are not
supposed to override that.

Remember, "root knows what s/he's doing" is the First Principle of
Unix. :)

Satoshi