Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:51:36 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Lamb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Cisco 2503i price

>Ok, one more add from me. I calculated a 486 PC, maybe not the cheapest
>but modern.
>
>486DX4-100 AMD $45
>Motherboard with IDE and I/O $100
>8 MB Simm $55
>ATI PCI VGA $80
>3.5" Floppy $30
>500 MB HD $150
>Case+powersupply $75 (man, these are expensive compared to .de)
>keyboard $18
>Cogent PCI ethermet $80
>ETinc 2 port serial $1095
>
>Complete price = $1728
>
>Cisco 2501 with IP feature set would cost me $1756

Your numbers are high (should be around $1600), but you're also getting a
server for nothing that you can add an ethernet, or upgrade to 100Mbs,
and it has 3 times the horsepower

........you'll also need the cisco mem upgrade to do anything useful......

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX