Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 1996 10:39:42 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Automatic port generation

jkh> That sounds pretty reasonable, though again I'd caution you
jkh> against making `makeport' a monolithic utility which "knows"
jkh> which questions to ask and rather design it as a fairly
jkh> intelligent "ports variable description file" and a library of
jkh> functions for dealing with it.  Then you can write this Q&A
jkh> sequence as a series of questions, as you show above, or you can
jkh> later migrate to some much fancier Tk based thingie.

While I agree with this approach, in general, I'd rather have a quick
and dirty hack for a makeports with continuing work to make it elegant
than have to wait for the elegant makeports down the line.

Warner