Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 19:02:31 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whither gcc 2.7?

Nate Williams wrote:
> GCC 2.7 doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon, so is there any
> reason Peter can't update our sources to 2.7.2, and then we can get the
> x86 patches and apply them locally until 2.7.2.1 or whatever is
> released?

Probably the better question would be:  "Whither Peter Wemm?" :-/

A couple of things have been happening here that have drastically impacted
on the time I've been spending on FreeBSD lately...  My family still has
the Flu for starters (it's going onto the 8th week or so now :-( ), and
something terrible has happened at work... (like, I've actually been
having quite good *fun* on my paying job.  I've been spending a lot of
extra time on that.)

The gcc-2.7.[23]{.X} code has kinda been on hold as I was told that 2.7.3
(or now 2.7.2.1 as I hear it's going to be called) was going to be
released "real soon now, probably next week" way back when I first put the
suggestion on the table.  I've not heard anything fo a few weeks from guy
that was supposed to be keeping me up to date on the gcc-2.7.x happenings,
and the most recent patch that he could get me was from June-6.  When I
read over the patch, there were no x86 fixes.. It was mostly risc system
definition stuff and a real fix for the -fstrength-reduce bug.  Neither of
which were all that useful as we currently dont suffer from the
-fstrength-reduce/-O2 bug (a small part of the optimization is disabled on
our version(s)).  The later snapshots of the 2.7.whatever would probably
be worth using, but that one seems hardly worth the effort.

So, I'm pretty tempted to just give up and do 2.7.2 and update it to
2.7.3/2.7.2.1/whatever when it's finally ready.

There were some other interesting suggestions too.  One user stongly
hinted that he'd like me to use the src/contrib mechanism, this is not out
of the question.  I had kinda promised to the CTM users that I wasn't
going to make a huge delta when I imported gcc-2.7.2, but it seems that
the src/contrib system has been reasonably well accepted by most parties,
so perhaps I should consider doing that..  This does have merits, as I
could actually use John Polstra's elfkit patches to allow an elf version
to be built as well.

It makes no real difference to me time-wise as to which form is imported,
as I have both versions (bmake style and "native" style) working and in
sync here already, under P3's multiple-view control.

Also, out of interest, it would not be difficult to have a real gcc-style
build using a driver makefile under src/gnu/usr.bin/cc, including obj dir
support, running configure --srcdir=... and so on.

Perhaps it should be done that way anyway, as it would be trivial to have
both compilers in the system for a limited time, and allow people to
easily opt to use the old one if there's a major problem for them.

Thoughts?  Is it worth abandoning the plans to do do a bmake import this
late in the game and switch to src/contrib (minus the non-x86 arch stuff)..

The more I think about it, the more I'm changing my mind and coming to the
opinion that we can do a lot more with it if the parts that we need go
into src/contrib with the bmake build points in the correct part of the
tree as usual.

I have other things on the agenda:
 - libncurses
 - cvs
 - libz (cvs now uses it)

> It would be nice to get the new compiler in the tree so folks can start
> fixing all the bugs/warnings it now shows us, and the longer we wait on
> it the less time we'll have to do it.
>
> I understand a developer could install it on their local box, but it
> would be nicer to have a long shakeout time with the new compiler.
>
> Nate

There is a snapshot of the bmake'd version on freefall somewhere, but I
think it's a little old.  I'll build a new one and put it somewhere that
everybody can get to for the time being.

Cheers,
-Peter