Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:10:17 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSDI netscape and name resolving

Hi,

I have run into a problem with the BSDI version of netscape and
name resolving.

I'm trying to run it through our firewall here, with the http-gw
from the fwtk there
are no problems, but with socks5 it gives an error about no
route to host.

What's more, when I specify the name of the socks-server instead
of it's IP address I get an error about the name not having a
DNS entry, but it's in my /etc/hosts file!

I have host.conf configured for hosts file first and then bind.

When I try this from a sgi or an nt server in the same network
it works ok.

I vaguely remember about problems with hostname resolving with
the bsdi netscape, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl

------- End of Forwarded Message