Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:30:49 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PREFIX with X11 ports

>  * There is one variable I've found, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH, that seems ideally
>  * useable as a method of moving the defaults stuff where we want it.
>
> But that is what the X window system leaves to the user for additional
> configuration.  I'm a little weary about us taking it away, as it
> doesn't belong to the system, and the ports tree is more on the system
> side than the user side.

Can't you make wrappers for the xwindows programs where you set
the variables to the appropriate values (I use XAPPLRESDIR for
example).

Here is how my netscape script looks:

#!/bin/sh

export XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/local/netscape
export CLASSPATH=/usr/local/netscape
/usr/local/netscape/netscape $*

Regards,
Marc.
Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl