Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 11:32:37 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        Tommy Johnson <tjohnson@csgrad.cs.vt.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  de driver bug?

>>>  that it is having connection problems.  Unless you have a flakey network
>>>  it could be a flakey card.
>>
>>Ok...this is the scoop.
>>
>>I have a '486 PCI MB (ACER) with a genuine SMC ethernet card. The
>>identical hardware (tested by swapping out hard disks)....
>
>My scoop:
>PCI SMC Etherpower 10baseT/10base2 ethernet card, on a dual 586-100 (labeled
>"pentium" though).
>

>>1) Works in FreeBSD 2.1.0R
>>2) Works in Linux 2.0.0
>>3) Doesnt work in FreeBSD 2.1.5R. The installation boot procedure (NFS)
>>fails,and a system built on another machine finds but cannot use the de card.
>
>Exact same thing: worked with FreeBSD 2.1 Release, FreeBSD 2.2-current (end
>of July) broke it.
>
>My Fix:
>I use 10base2, and it never said "de0: enabling Thinwire/BNC port" after
>I installed FreeBSD-current.  So I figured the media probe failed, and added
>
>/* Added by TOJ, to attempt to force 10base2   */
>sc->tulip_media=TULIP_MEDIA_BNC;
>/* End TOJ */
>
>at line 1842 of /usr/src/sys/pci/if_de.c
>
>Its worked ever since.

Alas, this isnt the problem I'm seeing (I've tried 2.1.5 on a different MB...a
pentium and it still doesnt work). I get the "enabling AUI...or 10baseT" message
(I've tried both BNC and TP)...still no good. I'm going to try the 2.1R
driver in
2.1.5 to see if that works.....

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX