Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 14:47:14 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   More de driver info......

I've semi-isolated the problem with the de driver not working in 2.1.5R.
Its not in the driver (the 2.1.0R driver fails in a similar way).

It seems to be a problem with some probes, and the difference in 2.1.5
seems to to that PCI devices are always probed first. The culprits are
the aic and the uha drivers...both of which seem to disable the de board
and render it inoperable upon probe. When using 10baseT...the light on
the hub is illuminated when de0 is probed, and it goes out when either
uha or aic is probed. Commenting both from the generic kernel allows
it to work...if either is in there the board cannot be used.

while I can certainly do without both drivers, I cannot load new systems
because the generic kernel doesnt work with any of the de compatible
cards I have (and I suspect none other as well). I need to generate new
boot disk with a working kernel. Is there an easy way (without making
an entire release) to just put an alternate kernel on the install boot
floppy?

Thanks,

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX