Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:17:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> > Avoid Linux unless you are prepared to play the Incompatibility Game and
> > Kernel-Of-The-Day Game.
>
> I wouldn't generalize that much.  Check out 'hunter.premier.net' in the
> Freenix1000.
>
> Linux box with a DPT SmartRAID controller.

That's nice.  Still, I see a lot of people struggling to get Linux to work
as a news server...

> And its only on a single T1 (so was howland.reston)

Howland?  On a single T1?  I can ask Enger but I doubt it.

Howland had continually rated high on Reid's Top 1000 because back in the
days when ANS was _THE_ Internet backbone, it was the only major news
system that was connected directly to ANS and was able to take advantage
of the ANS backbone's excellent connectivity and 45mbps rates.  At least,
that's how _I_ remember it.  :-)

Since Howland has recently moved, that may change somewhat, but I don't
buy that it was on a T1.

> Linux can kick a fair amount of ass as a newsserver.  I'm hoping to get
> the chance to push a FreeBSD box to the same level though.
>
> We're running our spool on the CCD right now, but the DPT SmartRAID stuff
> would be killer.  Since I don't directly admin news, the admin that does
> will probably end up building a Linux box so that the DPT support will be
> there.  Unless FreeBSD drivers suddenly appear...

I'd like that, although going with a real RAID is a possibility too.

I generally don't bother with RAID's for news and my performance is pretty
good.  :-)  (see: newspump.sol.net)

> The uncertainty about the MMAP stuff for INN bothers me a bit too...

Why bother using it?  I've not seen a noticeable difference either way,
and finally decided it wasn't worth the "uncertainty" (although in many
months of operations, I saw few crashes that I attributed to it).

> Oh, CCD clue.  Stripe size of 2048 is um... st00pid.  We were, um... er...
> testing! thats it.  *grin*
>
> Have a good one.
>
> (BTW, anyone looking to exchange feeds?  < 150ms to news.intersurf.net
> prefered.  Innfeed sites a plus.)

I don't even see you on the Freenix Top 1000 list :-)

... JG