Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:41:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        alk@think.com (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> Quoth Joe Greco on Mon, 26 August:
> : I've played with metadata updates before (disabled ATIME and MTIME updates)
> : but I don't want to do it on a production system until there is an
> : officially sanctioned method to do so.
>
> As I understand it, this is like half way to an async mount?

It's more like half way to a -ro mount.

Sometimes you do not CARE when someone last read a file.  It costs lots and
lots of disk bandwidth to write that information back on a busy news server
where thousands of files are accessed during every 30 second interval.

If you do not have to write that information, you now have more disk
bandwidth with which to READ more data, which is what you really wanna
do.

... JG