Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 14:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kientzle@netcom.com
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux async vs. FreeBSD sync (fwd)

An alternative package system that I've been using successfully for several
months now is to install _every_ application in it's own private directory,
and then populate /usr/local/{lib,bin,include,man} with appropriate
symlinks.  For example, I have "ispell" installed in /usr/local/app/ispell
as follows:

/usr/local/app/ispell/bin - public executables
/usr/local/app/ispell/lib - public lib file
/usr/local/app/ispell/man/man? - Man pages

I've then cobbled a quick Perl script that destroys and then
re-builds the following directories:

/usr/local/man/man? - links to /usr/local/app/*/man/man?/*
/usr/local/lib - links to /usr/local/app/*/lib/*
/usr/local/include - links to /usr/local/app/*/include/*
/usr/local/links/bin - links to /usr/local/app/*/bin/*

(I chose /usr/local/links/bin rather than /usr/local/bin to avoid
some transition headaches.)

The big advantage of this scheme over the current FreeBSD package
scheme is that it's very easy to add a new port to this system,
since you don't have to track down every file and enter it into
some database.  Similarly, removing packages is equally simple: just
delete the package directory and rebuild the link directories.

Currently, this doesn't handle package dependencies, and has some other
weaknesses, but I think it has serious advantages over the current system.
In particular, it easily handles new programs and ports as well as
existing packages.

If anyone's interested, write me directly, as I don't subscribe.

                                - Tim Kientzle
                                kientzle@netcom.com