Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 21:51:39 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CTM # -> date

I have a silly question...

Is there any way to map a CTM # to a date that I can use with cvs's
date specification commands?

This assumes that CTM is delivering a CVS tree that can be checked out
like this.  Actually, it would merely use CTM's deltas as marks in
time, anybody with a CVS tree could use that numbering.  Even just a
file that looked like

2400|96/09/04 18:45:32
2401|96/09/04 21:47:19

If that was in the CVS tree (say like the log files of the commits are
now), then a simple awk command + cvs co  would allow the CVS crowd to
get known versions of the source.  This would be a convenient fallback
for when my makeworld of 2401 fails, I can blow away my source tree
and try again with 2400.

This wouldn't help the poor slobs getting things w/o the CVS tree.
Nor would it solve the "Does this build" problem.  However, it would
be a tiny, incremental improvement over the current state of afairs.
I think it would be easy to implement, but I'm heading off to New
Mexico Friday for my Wedding and won't be back for about two weeks.

Comments?

Warner