Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 21:43:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: reported disk corruption

Bruce Evans écrit / writes:

> There should been no label on a really pristine (untouched by *BSD) disk :-).
> The (1,1,1) geometry is probably caused by a bug in sysinstall (putting
> a bogus partition table in the MBR in some cases).  The (1,1,1) geometry
> is alarming but harmless AFAIK, at least if it is kept out of labels.  It
> will still appear in the dummy label for the whole disk and copying that
> label can easily result in a label like the one below.

	Don't know if this is a bug or an intended feature, but I had
	some trouble with sysinstall in 2.1.5:

	Used DOS fdisk to split a 1GB into two slices (350MB for MS-DOG,
	the rest for FBSD).

	After a while, I decided I needed a spare partition, and decided
	to squash the first 350 :-)

	(Remember, the DOS slice was the FIRST on the disk).

	I run sysintall, call up the slice editor and delete the DOS (165 id)
	slice.  In place I create an equal sized BSD slice.

	I then (W)rite it out, and switch to the partition ed.  There I
	mount the existing partitions, and add the new part., which I decide
	to mount as spare.

	I write out the changes, and *WHAM*, sysinstall dumps core.

	I do an ls -l, and get a vm_fault: pager input (prob. hw), error
	PID xxx failure.

	df, ls, du, anything: same error.  Did the partition table
	get messed up in a way that they were all shifted by the new
	UFS partition ?

								-- Phil

--
-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 31241690 ]-
-[ "To kårve or nøt to kårve, that is the qvestion..."          -- My sister ]-