Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 1996 10:08:31 +0500
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), jehamby@lightside.com, imp@village.org, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux 96 (my impressions)

>>>> "tl" == "Terry Lambert" <terry@lambert.org> writes

tl> This is mostly because the BSD namei() interface is a piece of shit no
tl> one seems prepared to allow a change to because there are one or two
tl> CSRG hackers locked in a closet somewhere, and every once in a while
tl> they shove something out under the door, and God Forbid we lose out
tl> on the ability to integrate those occasional changes.

On another point, I did some basic kernel profiling while doing some
assorted operations (make kernel, find | cpio -O /dev/null) etc.

Surprisingly `namei' turned out to be the single biggest contributor to
time spent in the kernel.

Koshy