Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 1996 18:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      fwmiller@cs.UMD.EDU (Frank W. Miller)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        fwmiller@cs.UMD.EDU (Frank W. Miller)
Subject:   kernel performance

For lack of a better place to start, I chose this mailing list.

I am curious if there are any performance monitoring facilities built
into the kernel.  In particular, I am interested in obtaining
timings of the execution of the read() and write() system calls.
I want to break the measurements down according to how much time
is spent in various areas of the kernel code, how much is spent
waiting for I/O device hardware, etc.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Later,
FM

--
Frank W. Miller                           Department of Computer Science
fwmiller@cs.umd.edu                 University of Maryland, College Park