Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:41:19 -0500
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drive problem in -current

John Fieber writes:
 > On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Richard J Kuhns wrote:
 >
 > > Hardware: 120 MH Pentium, 32 MB RAM, BT946C controller, 2 Seagate
 > > Barracudas, Archive Viper tape drive, ASUS motherboard.
 > >
 > > I recently loaded -current on my home machine, which I had been using to
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > > I then tried to reload some stuff from my /usr backup (Infocom games, as it
 > > happens) -- no luck.  The tape positions itself when I put it in, but when
 > > I run "tar -tvf /dev/rst0", the light on the tape drive comes on for a
 > > fraction of a second, and that's it -- I get my prompt back.  There are no
 >
 > Can you tell me *exactly* what your tape drive is reported as?
 > (dmesg is useful here)  Also send the results of `mt status'
 > after a boot *before* you do anything with the drive.

(bt0:6:0): "ARCHIVE VIPER 2525 25462 -007" type 1 removable SCSI 1
st0(bt0:6:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty

I'm afraid the `mt status right after a reboot' will have to wait until I
get home tonight.

FWIW, 960501-SNAP/Anaconda (which can read the tape) and -current/Viper
(after trying to read the tape) both report the same thing:

# mt status
Present Mode:   Density = QIC-320      Blocksize variable
---------available modes---------
Mode 0:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 1:         Density = X3.136-1986  Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 2:         Density = X3.39-1986   Blocksize variable
Mode 3:         Density = X3.54-1986   Blocksize variable
#

 > I had what I believe to be the same problem when I moved to
 > current.  I discovered the code for detecting the particular
 > device (archive viper) in the "know quirks" list was broken.  I
 > fixed it...for my drive but apparently not for yours.  Among
 > other things, when properly detected, the quirk list sets useful
 > defaults for the density.
 >
 > If it is indeed this problem, you can temporarily get around this
 > by setting the density manually.  (see the mt man page)

Just to make sure, do I actually need to `mt offline', remove the tape, and
reinsert it to start a new mount session?

 > -john
 >
 > == jfieber@indiana.edu ===========================================
 > == http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================

Thanks...

Thanks also to everyone else who took the time to try to help.  Michael
VanLoon suggested the possibility of an extra EOF mark at the beginning of
the tape.  I don't think there is one, since I can read the tape on a
different machine with no trouble, but I'll try skipping over one tonight
anyway Just In Case.
--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (317)477-6000 \