Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 20:30:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, brandon@glacier.cold.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > You're in a difficult situation...  even a static GIF image would probably
> > be difficult because you don't know what you have for console until you
> > have probed the video..  animation I would think is out of the question
> > due to the way I understand the kernel works during the probe phase.
>
> Animation is possible using color register cycling.  This is how the
> "startrek" bar of the Microsoft "Plus! Pack" is animated.

The problem with animation during startup is that during the device
probes (the bits that the original proposition was trying to cover
with the splash (bad idea IMHO, but I understand the reasoning)), you
can't guarantee that you will get your interrupt regularly to do your
palette cycles.  The animation would be cheezy to say the least.  I
don't actually thingk that animation is terribly useful.

You'll note that Microsoft's W95 startup page shuffles a little band
across the bottom (I suspect that they aren't cycling but I never
bothered to count the colours on the screen), but then this band
disappears for a while... now I wonder why 8)