Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:59:16 -0400
From:      Rohit Dube <rohit@cs.UMD.EDU>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        rohit@cs.UMD.EDU, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giant Sized Ethernet Packets

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:50:52 -0700 dg@root.com writes:
=>I just spent about 15 minutes looking over the DC21140 hardware reference
=>manual. It appears that the chip can except larger frames, but it signals
=>an error condition when this occurs, so I don't think you could do this
=>as a normal mode of operation. It also appears that it is possible to
=>generate larger than 1500 byte packets, but the frames wouldn't be ethernet
=>(the type/length field would not be IEEE 802.3) and you'd have to invent your
=>own encapsulation. ...that's how I read it, anyway. Perhaps Matt Thomas will
=>correct me on this.
=>
=>-DG
=>
=>David Greenman
=>Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

Another quick question before I start hacking : DO hubs have a problem
with 1500+ bytes packet. I am using an Asante 100BaseTX hub to hook up
my FreeBSD machines. If the hub is intelligent and drops packets greater
than 1500 bytes in size, then I would be in trouble even before I start.

Julian/Amancio : care to share you configuartion?

Thanks.

--rohit.