Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 1996 12:25:25 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/net/tkined Makefile

Andreas Klemm writes:

>BTW, 4 days ago I wiped out my complete /usr/local tree ...
>So expect I don't have old crap in /usr/local/include and
>/usr/local/lib or such ;-))

My /usr/local is so incredibly cluttered, I'm scheduled
to re-install the whole machine from scratch, probably the first
part of next week, I've gotta burn the thing to CD first.
I think I'll try using a nonstandard prefix for the ports, so
I can separate true local stuff from the ports collection.

>The only thing I can imagine is, that I installed several
>versions of tcl and tk because of port dependencies ...
>
>What happens, if I install several tcl/tk packages in that order ?!
>
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root  bin  512 22 Sep 16:34 /var/db/pkg/tk-4.1
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root  bin  512 23 Sep 11:39 /var/db/pkg/tcl-7.4.2
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root  bin  512 23 Sep 11:48 /var/db/pkg/tcl-7.3
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root  bin  512 23 Sep 11:54 /var/db/pkg/tk-4.0.2
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root  bin  512 23 Sep 11:57 /var/db/pkg/tk-3.6

as you noted in another mail, the last one installed gets it's version of
/usr/local/include/{tcl,tk}.h as official.  I've always hated the way that
works, but I've never been able to come up with a better way.  The header and
the library are really a matched set, but only the library is versioned.  I
guess a person could have tcl.h installed as tcl73.h tcl74.h tcl75.h and tk.h
similarily.  Then have the ports that need specific versions include the
proper header, but that gets pretty messy.  OTOH, you could argue that it's
already pretty messy :(  I'll try to do some of this stuff as
I rebuild my machine.  I've got a couple of ports that need 7.3/3.6, but
since it really depends on what order stuff is installed, I couldn't
expect them to always work, so they're still in purgatory ;-)

Comments and better ideas are always welcome.

>--
>andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik Gmb
>   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.d
>pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<
><
>ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<
><

eric.