Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 21:32:19 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, michaelh@cet.co.jp
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: secure level diffs to kern_mib.c, LINT

>What changes would be necessary to *guarantee* that the system increments
>securelevel to 1, *before* any deamons are started?

Set the securelevel to 1 in the kernel or use sysctl to set it before
starting any daemons :-), e.g. by booting with -s or setting it near
the start of /etc/rc.  Setting it to 0 in the kernel doesn't do this -
then /etc/rc is run in single-user mode at securelevel 0, as it must to
write to disks, and daemons are started at securelevel 0 and any disk
writing permissions that they gain live across changes to securelevel.

>I'm less concerned with putting securelevel=2 in rc, because this is just
>locking another deadbolt and isn't as critical as the transition from 0 to
>1.

Actually, securelevel 1 is normally so insecure that it shouldn't be used.
It essentially only provides write protection of /dev/mem and /dev/kmem.
The write protection on mounted disks is worthless becauses there are
lots of aliases.  Even plain BSD has a whole disk partition, and FreeBSD
has lots of slices and SCSI control devices.  Perhaps this can be worked
around by deleting the aliases.

Bruce