Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 15:07:26 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.BR (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nullfs: Panicing...

>  I want to make parts of a file system available to anon ftp, whose
>chrooted directory is located at another file system.  My first
>approach was to use nullfs, but everytime I try to edit (vi)
>a file in the nullfs mounted directory, the system panics.  Everything
>else works (or seens to work) ok.

>  I already had problems with vi and nullfs in NetBSD, caused by the
>mmap nature of vi.  Maybe this is the case, too.

>  This problem happens at 2.1.0 and 2.1.5 releases.  Does not matter
>if the nullfs is mounted read-only or if vi is called in the its read-
>only from (view).

Probably mmap then, since read-only access typically worked already otherwise.

>PS: I'm now using NFS to localhost, as a workaround.

I had to abandon this approach and use symlinks instead, once the directory
had outgrown a certain size. Perhaps there is no longer any such size limit,
but I don't have the stomach at the moment to risk it.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>