Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:21:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        j_mini@efn.org (Jonathan Mini)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Screen savers for syscons....

>   Lately I've been running FreeBSD 2.1.5-R with a MDA/Herc monitor, and
> I've been slowly getting annoyed at the screen savers (or lack thereof)
> for FreeBSD. Currently, I have to turn my monitor off, since the screen
> savers supplied with FreeBSD won't work on my MDA adapter. Is it jsut me
> or do they only work on VGA displays? (I haven't tried using an EGA
> display) If the screen savers only work on VGA displays, they should at least
> take advantage of the graphics device available.

They work on MDA's, atleast some of them (star, snake).

>   I'm planning on modifying the screen savers that come with FreeBSD
> 2.1.5-R to work with other display devices other than VGA. (like my mono
> system) AFter that, I'd like to write a few screen savers that use the
> 320x200x256 graphics mode of VGA to create a few decent screen savers.
> (let's face it, other than the "green" and "blank" screen savers
> everything else is pitiful.)
>   I'm looking at wirting :
> 	- Text based screen savers which will work under any syscon.
> 	- a few 320x200 screen savers that work under VGA :
> 		- a decent star saver (like xrocks)
> 	  I've a few other ideas, but none of them planned.
>
>   Am I repeating code already written? If not, is there much of a need for
> a decent set of screen savers? And if so, are there any you guys would
> like to see in particular... ;)

Hmm, as they author of things I've played some with it,, and still do
when I have some spare minutes to burn. I have most of a graphics lib
(lines, circles, sprites, bitblits etc) that can be used for this. I
also had a "noseguy" once, but I never took it very seriously as most
people (including myself) runs X nowadays on "real" machines, and one
dont want a saver to keep the backlight alive on a laptop, so the
need is not that big. Besides it will only do in the std VGA modes
like 320x200x256 or 640x480x16, so either there is no resolution or
there is no colors .....

If you get any graphic savers done, let me know, I'll consider them
for inclusion in the tree....

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..