Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:17:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alexandr@hawk.pearson.udel.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Possibility?

> So, digging through my box-o-parts (tm), I find that I've got an old
> Media-Vision PAS16 soundcard with scsi attachment (for that old external
> nec cdrom).
>
> Obvious questions.  Is the Jaz drive supported under 2.2?  If so, is the
> scsi port on a PAS16 supported?

My JAZ drive works on my 2.2-current (+local changes) box.  My local
changes shouldn't affect it one way or the other.

One annoying thing is that the FreeBSD SCSI code does not recognize the
drive size :

(ncr0:1:0): "iomega jaz 1GB G.60" type 0 removable SCSI 2
sd1(ncr0:1:0): Direct-Access
sd1(ncr0:1:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.

sd1(ncr0:1:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry

sd1(ncr0:1:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
sd1: could not get size
0MB (0 512 byte sectors)

But OpenBSD does:

sd1 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun 0: <iomega, jaz 1GB, G.60> SCSI2 0/direct removable
sd1: sd1(ncr0:1:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
1021MB, 1021 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec

This doesn't keep it from working, it just pisses me off a bit.  The
fix is obvious from a casual examination of the OpenBSD SCSI code.

In any case, on to the PAS card: It depends.

The PAS cards have a number of SCSI chips they've used at various times
in the past -- it's kind of a "lowest bidder" thing.
The most common is the NCR 5380 chip, but it may also use the Trantor
T130 chip.

The driver for these two chips is the "nca" driver.  See the file
/sys/i386/conf/LINT for details on how to build a kernel.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.