Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:08:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS passwd probs

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Christoph
Kukulies had to walk into mine and say:

> That mastername vs. myname discrepancies left aside I kludged
> yppasswdd so that it stays running and changing the NIS password
> on the client side give a strange picture:
>
> Changing the NIS password (using passwd - freshly compiled) on a client
> is formally accepted the first time. But trying to use it afterwards
> fails. The old password is still valid.
>
> Trying the to change the password again to something different on the
> client (typing the newly altered password at the Old Password: prompt)
> fails immediately with:
>
> Changing NIS password for joeuser on nisserver@domain.
> Old Password:
> passwd: Sorry.
>
> This wan't accompanied with any syslog activity (I was watching /var/log
> /messages at that time).
>
> Using the old (unaltered) password at the Old Password: prompt
> now also gives 'Sorry'.
>
> The whole passwd issue (root and user passwords setting on the client side)
> is a pending problem here at our site and I really wonder if this is
> a problem with FreeBSDs NIS in general or a problem with my site's setup.
> Sure, there are lurking pitfalls with building the world on the server
> and running perhaps outdated clients but I'm trying to keep that matched
> at least in the field of my experimenting at the moment.

Sorry, but I can't diagnose this from here. You have the source code,
and a debugger, plus access to all the involved machines: you can do
much more than I can at this point.

I strongly suspect there's a configuration problem somewhere, but I
can't pinpoint it without actually playing with the affected machines.

Is libcrypt the same on all machines? Did you install DES on all of
them or leave them in their default configurations (MD5)? Either way
should work, but if you mix 'n' match, strange things might happen.

Does passwd(1) on the server work? Did you try running rpc.yppasswdd
with the -v flag (which should make it more verbose)? Does
/var/yp/ypupdate.log say anything useful? Do you have more than one
domain? Is you NIS master server a client of any other servers?
How many clients do you have anyway? What version of FreeBSD are they
running? Are they even FreeBSD hosts at all? Can you provide _any_
information at all?

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."