Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:49:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      erb@inss1.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de (Olaf Erb)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD pkg system vs Debian dpkg

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > - ports dependencies are a little simple- there's a check if needed libs
> >   (e.g. tcl/tk/perl etc.) are installed, if not, they're installed, too.
> >   But pkg_add isn't checking if an older version of the to-be-installed
> >   package exists. You're ending up with many different pkg entries if you
> >   don't take care about this.
>
> You should get back to the poster and suggest that he update his package
> sets and tools - this was fixed with an MD5 checksum method about a
> month ago.

Ahh. ;-) OK, I'll take a look.

> We have a pretty good design put together for a ports/packages combo
> which addresses *all* of these problems, it's just finding the time to
> write it. ;-) I've pledged to release "package install MkII" sometime
> before spring of '97 is over, and maybe I'll even make the deadline
> for once.  I'm actually putting myself into an area of the country so
> rural that programmers either code or go mad. ;-)
>
> I, of course, plan to do both.

;-))

Hm, what about the point with mixing non-ports stuff and ports under
/usr/local? Does the design address it?

I didn't know that plans to improve the system already exist, I think
we're all looking forward to the results.

Olaf
--
There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts. -- Richard Bach, Illusions