Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 1996 02:23:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Figuring out another port's build directory

 * that.  Does anyone see anything wrong with the following Makefile construct
 * (other than that it's hairy)?

Yes.  It's hairy. ;)

 * CONFIGURE_ARGS= --with-gsm=`awk '/^WRKSRC=/ { sub(/$$[{(]?WRKDIR[})]?/, WRKDIR,
 * $$2); print $$2 }' WRKDIR=${GSM_DIR}/work ${GSM_DIR}/Makefile`

I think this is overkill.  If you are writing something that you need
to read the awk or sed man page to figure out, that's too complex.

Just use the whatever version we have now.  Besides, you don't know if
a updated gsm will work with vat or not, so it's not a bad idea to
leave in a dependency.  That way the port will be sure to barf at you
(or at least me, who will barf at you in turn :).

Satoshi