Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 20:29:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SUP on sup.freebsd.org

> As to the "*GIANT*, *BLOATED* language subsystem," you are out of
> date on that.  The current CVSup package (the one from the packages
> collection, not the static binary release which is completely
> stand-alone) depends only on the "modula-3-lib" package, whose
> tarball is < 1 MB and which occupies 3.2 MB when fully installed.
> That is *slightly* larger than the static binary installation,
> which weighs in at 2.5 MB.  However, I expect to update CVSup more
> frequently than the Modula-3 ports, so in the long run you'll be
> better off to install "modula-3-lib" and use the package version
> of CVSup.
>
> BTW, if you think 3.2 MB is still too giant and bloated, well,
> welcome to the 1980's, Bubba.  ;-)

Erhm, why on earth did you chose Modula3 ?? I newer got the
warm fuzzies by mr. Wirth's languages , they are maybe good
educational tools, but for real world apps, nah.... :)
Oh and yes I have seen apps written in modula3, all of which
was horrible performers, and impossible to port to new platforms,
so the management decide a complete rewrite in, guess what, C!

(I ducking now and jumping into the asbestos suit)

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..