Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 18:16:01 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Howard Goldstein <hgoldste@mpcs.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best mount options, tunefs for newsserver

On Nov 9,  4:59pm, Howard Goldstein wrote:
} Subject: Best mount options, tunefs for newsserver
} For further performance improvements the tunefs (8) hints that a space
} optimized fs costs a lot.  My messages log shows /kernel keeps
} changing the tuning of the news spool, although for the last two days
} it's kept it on space optimized.

Sometimes I have my doubts about its heuristics, but ...

} I shouldn't really care much about
} avoiding fragmentation on my frequently rm'd newsspool [should I...?]

Yes you should if you get it close to full.  I've had a badly spool totally
run out of free blocks when df showed it still had about 5% free (including
the minfree margin).  The problem was that all the free space consisted of
fragments, which are useless when you try to create a file that is at
least block_size-fragsize+1 byte long.  Once this happens, your news server
grinds to a halt until expire frees up some blocks.

			---  Truck