Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:00:48 +0200 (EET)
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        Seppo Kallio  <kallio@cc.jyu.fi>
Cc:        Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arp info overwritten

Seppo Kallio writes:

 > 1. It is cosco router
 > 2. netmasks are OK, but we use unclassified ip, that is mask is
varying

I hope you mean classless :-)

 > 3. Netmasks of the two nodes: the FreeBSD and the micro are correct, they
 >    are 255.255.0.0

They highly likely are incorrect.

 > 4. There is some nodes with some other masks between
 >    255.255.0.0 - 255.255.255.0

Which makes this problem. The issue here is that you have
misunderstood the concept of 'variable length subnets'. It means that
a subnet of an address (for example a B-class address) can have
different length prefixes, but *NOT* the same subnet. This means that
if you have
155.155.3.0 masked with 255.255.255.0
you CAN NOT have
155.155.3.16 masked with 225.255.255.240
NOR
155.155.0.0 masked with 255.255.0.0

or othervise bad things start to happen to you (like the one you describe)

 > I think proxy arping is in use.

Which in some cases saves you, but causes other side-effects for
misconfigured machines.

Pete