Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 23:48:22 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

On Nov 18,  7:06am, Ollivier Robert wrote:
} According to Don Lewis:
} > Qmail doesn't do all the ESMTP negotiation that sendmail does.  It keeps
} > qmail simpler and less likely to be buggy, but not as functional.  For
} > instance sendmail 8.7.x supports: 8BITMIME, SIZE, DSN, VERB, ONEX, but
} > whatever version of qmail I just checked only supports 8BITMIME and
} > PIPELINING.  Sendmail 8.8.x adds ETRN.
}
} I don't think it handles 8BITMIME at all even if it announces it. Does it
} support rewriting  from 8bit to 7bit and reverse ?

I think you may be right.  I seem to recall from the discussions on
comp.mail.sendmail that qmail only announces this to keep sendmail from
doing an 8->7 rewrite.  Other than that, qmail just sends 8 bits even
if it is talking to some crusty old mailer that strips of the eighth
bit or just goes bezerk when it receives a message containing characters
with the high bit set.

} > Sendmail's support of UUCP isn't wonderful (mostly a problem of
} > getting DNS totally disabled).  How well does qmail support UUCP?
}
} That's a common misunderstanding. UUCP support in sendmail is pretty good
} (see my other mail).

I would have been a lot happier in my UUCP email days if sendmail had
supported BSMTP (I think there was a version that did, but it wasn't
the one I was running).

			---  Truck