Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:50:17 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netscape 3.01, linux_lib port, Acrobat reader, etc

I just had some fun.  I tweaked the netscape3 Makefile to also allow
specifying the linux-elf binary version instead of the BSDI one.  This is
"interesting", because the Linux version has plugin support.  Also
interesting is that the Acrobat3 Linux binary port has a netscape plugin...

It's most wierd to read .pdf files in the netscape main window.. :-)

However, while doing this, I discovered the linux_lib-2.1 .tar.gz is
busted.  It's got the nis/nis+/nsswitch version of libc.so.5.  When there
is no /etc/nsswitch.conf file, it defaults to asking NIS then /etc/hosts
for hostnames and does not ever use dns.

I had to create:
peter@spinner[12:21pm]~ports-124> cat /compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:          dns [NOTFOUND=return] files

.. in order for the netscape binary to be able to resolve hostnames.  The
version of libc.so.5.3.12 in the linux_lib-2.1 tarball does not recognise
the linux host.conf file anymore.

Also, the acroread port is busted.  It does several checks on "uname -s"
and switches the result.  It checks for Linux, but falls over when it gets
FreeBSD as happens under the emulation.  There are several places where
some case statements need to be changed from:
  Linux)
to:
  FreeBSD|Linux)

-Peter