Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 01:03:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Gunther Hipper <gunther@informatik.uni-rostock.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New smp kernel / Panic(cpu#0): Nobody wants to mount my root for me

Hi !

Great news - since 4 hours I've no girlfriend, but maybe an _SMP_kernel_ !
That's better than nothing !

> > ahc0 <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 9 on pci0:12
> > ahc0: aic7880  Unsupported adapter type.  Ignoring
> I *think*        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  this is because its OFF in BIOS
>
> earlier boards came with this chip as an option, but I think this says your
> board actually has it, but its turned off in the BIOS.  The BIOS may also
> be "smart" enough to see that there are no SCSI disks attached and turn it off
> on its own, so just turning it on in the BIOS may not be enough to make this
> message go away.  It might also be a result of using the 961014 SNAP, I don't
> remember when support for the 7880 was added, but it definately IS supported
> in the SMP-current kernel.

I have the SCSI-chip, and i always tried to turn it on and off in BIOS - but
this made no difference concerning the boot from the latest SMP-kernel.

> > wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> > wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST32140A>
> > wd0: 2015MB (4127760 sectors), 4095 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
>
> So this is what you are actually trying to boot off of?

Jupp. Some days ago it was possible to boot off the IDE ... but now - no chance.
This is why i wanted to start to take a look into the autoconf.c, somewhere where
the while(1){} of the init is, there was the function calling isa_configure() or so.
This was the point when i considered to ask you :-)

> So confirm you have the SCSI support on your motherboard and then all you need
> is a SCSI disk.
> If this is your only problem then the current code, including the init_main.c
> commited today, should work for you with without "options APIC_IO".

Okay, I can go on, but the problem is that i have 16 GA586DX but only a sinlge
SCSI disk ..... but I would really _DIE_ for having a FreeBSD-SMP. At the moment,
my boss wants WinNT and is keen on any reason for switching off of Unix.

Ahemm s.th. else - Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com> just said:
>>What would you suggest to do ?
>boot -v
>send us the output of the boot sequence.
>Consider using a serial console to capture it.
This could take some time.... i've to get a null-modem, an old pc but the worst
thing is that i've never done kernel debugging with a debugger/FreeBSD right now...
just straight device-drivers. You still want me to copy the boot-up-sequence ?
But could take some time.

HERE IS MY CONFIG-FILE:
machine		"i386"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
ident		SMP
maxusers	10
options		SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options		NCPU=2			# number of CPUs
#options		NBUS=2			# number of busses
#options		NAPIC=1			# number of IO APICs
#options		NINTR=21		# number of INTs
#options		APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O
options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options		FAILSAFE		#Be conservative
options		USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
options		VISUAL_USERCONFIG	#visual boot -c editor
config		kernel	root on wd0
controller	isa0
controller	pci0
controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
device de0
device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
[...]
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	pty	16