Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 1996 19:18:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/include utmp.h

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Breaking backward compatibility to ourselves is IMHO a Bad Thing.  I
> > volunteer to write that tool (i think it's not a big deal anyway), but
> > where should it go to?
>
> Ah, that's the harder part of the solution, isn't it? :-)
>
> Upgrades in general are poorly handled and always have been.  To
> really support this properly would require several enhancements to our
> release building and installation systems:

You are right.  I've also though about it an hour ago, while thinking
about parts of a particular installation that might be moved off to
another place later: while the upgrade installation will painlessly
create the new files, it will leave the old files in their stale
location.  Nobody will ever notice that they are stale, well unless
somebody tries to edit them and wonders why his changes are not in
effect at all...

What about a `whiteboard' directory in CVS?  Some place where
everybody could append his notes at the end of a file?  When it's
release-build time, someone (:-) of the releng crew can pick it up,
and make some sense for the upgrade procedure out of it...  At least,
this will ensure it won't be forgotten.

What about $CVSROOT/src/upgrade/3.0/...?  With a file named
`Whiteboard' in each of these directories, as well as e.g. a file
named `upgrade_wtmp.c' in our current case?

We still need to address more of Jordan's list, of course, but this
looks at least like a starting point to me, without preventing future
more elegant solutions.  What do people think about it?

Of course, i also don't mind if there were a file `ReleaseNotes' in
this directory, where people who commit more important new stuff (like
entire new drivers, Posix support, etc.) append a note of this event,
so another (or the same :) member of the releng team can compose the
final RELEASENOTES file for the next release...

--
cheers, J"org